In love with Koolatron! This vehicle cooler keeps my drinks and snacks cool down to 45- 50 Fahrenheit degrees below the temperature around. It’s not an immediate service but takes time to cool down things.I bought the AC15 as the customer service rep suggested. I plug it in the house before the trip and that helps cool it faster.
Was this review helpful to you?
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
Made for road trips
June 27, 2012
Susan Gomes from Santa Ana, California
Along with the 110V power adapter, this product was a great buy. We needed to take something like this along with us on a road trip. We ran it for 8 days continuously, moving it from the car to the hotel rooms we were staying in. It was large enough to hold enough food for a family of 5. We did not use the "warm" feature of this device, only the "cold", but I could see the "warm" feature being really nice. It was really nice not having to deal with filling it with ice constantly, nor having to move food from the cooler to a regular fridge and back.
I specifically liked the following things about it:
- It is deceptively big. We had a whole gallon of milk (in two 1/2 gallon containers), as well as lunch meat, all sorts of yogurt/pudding containers, and fruits in there.
- The wheels: this was key for us, we looked for the biggest cooler we could find that had wheels. There are bigger powered coolers out there, but this is the biggest we could find with wheels.
- The fan on the side: at first, I thought it would be a mistake to buy something with the fan on the side (rather than on the top), since we wouldn't be able to stack anything next to it. This, however, worked to our advantage when we decided to keep the cooler in the car (rather than in the trunk), we simply stacked things on top of it.
- It runs very quietly.
- The lid does not stay open on its own.
- The cooler works by drawing warm air from outside, cooling it, then blowing it around inside the cooler. As a result, the slots where the air comes in will collect frost, and after 2 or 3 days, froze solid, which prevented the air from circulating, which increased the temperature inside. Every couple of days, I took everything out, used a hair dryer to melt all the frost (took a few minutes), then put everything back in after running it for a few minutes. The hair dryer is not absolutely necessary, but it does speed things up.
- The handle feels "cheap made"
- You need to leave some room near the air vent on the side of the device, otherwise you lose air circulation, meaning things on the other side of the cooler get warmer.
- It takes a few hours to cool things down, it is not like a fridge. We cooled all of our food initially in a fridge, then transferred it to the cooler.
Was this review helpful to you?
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
June 26, 2012
sam from new jersey
This cooler is not worth the price paid. does not cool as claimed. had it plugged in for two weeks straight and it never got more than about 15 degrees cooler than ths surrounding air. Even when inside. Don't waste your money.
On the other hand, service from my12voltstore was fine. Item arrived on time. Now to see if they will take it back.